Friday, June 17, 2016

Training Day 11

Training Day 11 had a 10 mile General Aerobic run on the schedule, and there were thunderstorms on the weather report. I looked at the forecast the night before and it looked pretty grim for the morning, so I made the decision to just go with the gym in the morning. I had just got my Hoka One One Cliftons, and was really ready to take them out on the pavement, but that'll have to wait until at least Saturday when I have a 5 mile recovery run.

I woke up at 4:30 and went to check the weather. It showed something like a 60% chance of rain, and thunderstorms by 6 AM, so I went with the original plan of running on a treadmill at the gym. I had never run anywhere near this distance on a treadmill before, so this was going to be something new.

I got to the gym and went right to work. I had planned to just run around 10:00 minute pace, so I plugged in 6.0 mph and started my workout. It seemed like this was a bit fast at first, and I kicked it down a few tenths, but eventually, I warmed up and things felt comfortable.

I play these little games while doing runs on a treadmill, just as I do with driving long distances in a car. "One mile down, only have to do that nine more times"! OK, maybe that one doesn't seem very encouraging, but once you hit the half-way point, everything is downhill from there. It never seemed to be very strenuous, which I suppose is OK for a Gen. Aerobic run...but I really wanted to take it easy on this one since it was my first attempt at a distance like this on a treadmill. I was very encouraged by it, and I now don't worry about days when I might be forced indoors for a long run in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment